Friday, September 18, 2015

Friday Mix Up of Requests

This Friday post is a little of that, a little of this, from different questions, comments or requests.

This is what the geese have been up to this week;  I am not going to use this carousel for my SPSH.  This week on the front lawn of this home, a total of 7 scenes depicting the geese at The Fall Fair.  These are but 2.


Geese on a carousel

Geese on a ferris wheel



For Lady Ella, theses are two of the other labyrinths that I walk.  The one with the stones outlining the path use to be outlined in thyme and I once was a volunteer that tended to the labyrinth to keep the paths and plants neat and tidy - it was certainly labour intense and the Canadian winters were not kind to the plants, hence the decision to replace with stones (I am not sure who any of these people are in the photo) This particular labyrinth is often used for healing ceremonies so I couldn't linger too long.
 
Stone Labyrinth in Guelph



The cement labyrinth is very easy for the park folks to keep clear especially during winter.  It is, I personally find, the least inviting, but is always busy with walkers. 

 
Cement Labyrinth in Burlington




 




















 







And for Mel, hostas, lots and lots of hostas - there is, according to the owner, over 50 different types of hosta in these garden beds.  Their entire front yard is planted with hostas and a few other shade loving plants.

















And for Karen, these are a couple of photos from our visit to Angel's Gate Winery in the Niagara Region.  On top of the hill if the weather co-operators you can see all the way to Toronto.  They have a lovely cafe, wine tasting and cellar tours along with a shop to purchase their wines. Oh and if you still need a turtle photo for the SPSH, they have a VERY large snapping turtle in their pond.

Gate to Angel's Gate Winery
Angel's Gate Winery





























10 comments:

  1. small world - that thyme labyrinth in Guelph is a cherished memory from a road trip in Canada some years ago - one of the things I dream of building if I were to become a millionaire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to walk there because the thyme had such a wonderful fragrance, while it is in a lovely peaceful setting, the stones just bring a harshness to it that wasn't there with the plants. I will keep my fingers crossed for your dream to build becoming a reality :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for these. The stone one is rather nice. After I asked you about other labyrinths, I searched and discovered there are one or two around London. Funny how they are just not on my radar. As to hostas, they look lovely planted like that but I used to have one in the garden which, alone, did nothing for me. In the end I let the slugs have it as they were so keen! (Another reason I don't like them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year has been great for growth of hostas but also a year of the slugs and snails. I explain the holes in my hosta leaves as intentional as they are a variety of "laced" hostas :) I will be interested to know if you walk a labyrinth what you thought of the experience.

      Delete
  3. A really nice mix up of a post. I do like a bit of random on a Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sian. Personally my Friday was full of randomness, I went with the flow :)

      Delete
  4. Nice to be able to feedback to your readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie, I am trying and it is SO wonderful to have people actually read and comment, it surprises and thrills me.

      Delete
  5. I'll have to look up where Angel's Gate is. It looks lovely. I don't think we're going to get there this fall. It will be the first year we've missed in many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karen that's too bad you aren't able to make it. I would like to attend the harvest of the ice wine grapes, it is becoming quite the festival although I am not keen to be cold :)

      Delete