Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Pairs - Growing Then Harvested



Linking in with Helena's Pairs: http://helenascreativemaven.blogspot.ca/

This week I need four photos to detail my Pairs, Growing & Harvested. It's Winter Wheat grown this year in the field behind our home.

They plant the wheat in October which gives it a good start before freeze up, it lays dominant all winter and then it springs to life again once the snow is gone. That could be March, or April or maybe in May.  This land is rented by a large farming group and the crops rotate on a three year plan; this year Winter Winter, next year Silo or Feed Corn; the year after that, Soybean.  Each crop brings it's own story to my yard.  Once the wheat is cut, for several weeks afterwards we get large flocks of Canadian geese feeding on the fallen grain, fattening before the supposed flight south.  When it's corn, we get a lot of those nasty raccoons and sometimes the lovely deer.  When it's soybean there seems to be a lot more garter snakes around.  

 
Close up of Winter Wheat


The field of wheat 1 day before harvest







The Cutting



Baling the straw - this year small horse bedding cubes







16 comments:

  1. a lovely photo story - how fascinating to have the crop rotation and different critters as well as plants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the changes all the differences certainly bring interest to our garden.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The smell intensifies as the sun goes down, hard one to describe so I'm glad you know it.

      Delete
  3. Not sure I'd be so keen when it was soyabean season! What lovely autumnal photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe as women we will always have issues with snakes :)
      The farmer's field has old maple trees on the edge which turn beautiful shades of gold, orange and red in about a month's time.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful top pic (perfect for a little mouse to pose for you!) and I like the flying bale in the bottom one.
    Looked up garter snakes. Don't care if they are harmless to humans - they look scary! No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a mouse was to drop into any of my photos I believe you'd hear the screech all the way to England! Garter snakes move really fast so I think they startled more than scare.

      Delete
  5. Brings back fond memories of growing up in farm country! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living on the edge of farming country is as close as I could convince Mr Man to live. I appreciate the joy of it all.

      Delete
  6. Well. This interesting. Firstly we have not been able to harvest our wheat yet because of the weather. Secondly glad we don't have raccoons or snakes in our fields. Thirdly great interest in the last photo from several farmers here. They have seen the system of the bales been automatically thrown up before. General opinion is that it is most untidy and must be a muddle of bales to sort out. We will loan our girls to sort them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes those big wagons get messy and so I am sure they don't hold as many, so many trips required. Normally they put the wheat straw into the big round bales, so I was surprised by the small bales this year. I know when we bale hay, we always stack on the wagon, stack in the barn but more & more hay farmers are baling into the big rounds and only on specific orders do they do the small cube bales. I could go on for hours about how much I dislike the raccoons, they are such dirty animals and carry a lot of disease, but still I would never harm, I will throw water balloons at them to chase away.

      Delete
  7. How interesting to notice the different wildlife that comes with the various crops.And that first photo....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are such beautiful rhythms to life, I am privileged to notice.

      Delete