Monday, February 22, 2016

Memorandum Monday - February 22nd

Linking in with Sian
        

  SO what's new this week?

I got to share in the celebration of  new life that arrived in Melbourne Australia this week.  A beautiful baby girl born to my internet/blogging friend, Delanie.  By the way, Delanie also does some amazing December Daily scrapping, you can link in at Delanie  

Season 4 of Vikings started this week.  I must tape this so that I can fast forward through the violent bloody battles, which there are many. This method makes an hour show about 35 minutes!  Vikings is a Irish-Canadian production & is filmed both in Ireland & Canada. Besides all the battles, there are some interesting story lines & some threads of history.


Source

Watched the new on demand movie, Suffragette, starting Carey Mulligan, Helena Bonham Carter & with a glance in by Meryl Streep.  Mr Man's comment was that he cannot believe how cruel men can be & we both paused on the fact that (1) women have not had the vote that long & (2) the creators forget to mention in the end tidbits about Canada's women gaining the vote in the western provinces in 1916, Ontario 1917 & the eastern provinces in 1918 & 1920, except for Quebec, which granted the vote to women in 1940!!!  We were ahead of many other countries, although Australia was one of the earliest. Saudi Arabia just granted the vote to women in December 2015!

I continue to work on my new method of scrapbooking, slowly, & I am enjoying using my stash, a lot of which I have rediscovered, which is almost like having bought new stuff.  It also means I have too much.  This new method of making the pages without photos may or may not work for all my backlog of existing photos.  These two new layouts might work in my heritage album as their muted colours would work with some old  photos.  The papers are from the same product line & so would work together side by side in the album.

Done page without photos

Page in process of being done without photos


Below are papers I found in my stash, which will be perfect for some heritage photos of my father, who was a professional photographer/newspaper reporter.  I was given some photos of him & one of his brothers.  There is about 6-7 photos.  Even though my father has never really figured a lot in my life & as I do not have many photos of him or his family, I still would like to include in my heritage album.  I resolved earlier this year that I would finish my heritage album this year.  
 
Newly discovered old stash of papers


My new / renewed resolve means that I have been very good at saying no thank you to treats offered by work mates or friends.  Mr Man is on board with no sugary treats at home.


Treats Offered - Not Taken

All our snow has melted as we had rain & temperatures of +9 (c) on Saturday ( a 34 degree difference in less than a week)  Forecast is 25cm of new snow for this Thursday.

I hope everyone has a wonderful resourceful week ahead.  This moment is full of wonderment.

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your friend. Yes we do taking very much for granted. There was a time when even the average man didn't vote. I have an answer for anyone who says they won't vote. People fought hard to give us that privilege.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, voting is a privilege, a hard win & something not everyone can do.

      Delete
  2. I must watch that film sometime, I love the papers you found, perfect for the photos of your father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. I found a few other "sets" of paper in my stash, that I am excited to find.

      Delete
  3. That was one of the movies we missed seeing in the theaters. We saw many more than usual during the fall and winter. Maybe we'll be able to get it to watch while we're on vacation. Still plenty of snow in my yard; we were supposed to get more this week, too, but now the forecast is for rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes another big forecast of snow - yikes, errands better get done tomorrow. This movie was a slower paced movie, I think it should be watched to remind ourselves what those before us gave to us ...

      Delete
  4. I read women in Saudi Arabia just now are able to book and stay in a hotel room on their own, without some man's permission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what many women lack as rights in this world. We need to stand up & assist in change. I believe it is not just women's rights, but human rights & I find it frustrating how we seemed to have stalled on many topics.

      Delete
  5. I discovered Vikings on a long plane flight a couple of years ago. I worked my way through the whole of the first series. I am looking forward to watching more which I can now access through Amazon Prime. I keep meaning to get TNSSO to watch Suffragettes with me: she will be voting for the first time this Spring.

    Keep on saying no thank you! and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sian & I do hope that all went well yesterday at the dentist. I hope we see a scrapbook page at TNSSO's first casting :)

      Delete
  6. It's nice to be celebrating a new life and remembering heritage moments too - that whole circle of life concept. Suffragettes sounds like a must-see to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The circle of life has been a running theme of sorts this last few weeks - tears of joy, tears of sorrow. I hope you enjoy Suffragettes.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to your friend.

    Well done too on you saying no ... I admire your will power

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will power like any 12 step program, even for those of us in sweets withdrawal, is a day by day challenge. I am just so surprised how much mental energy this is taking.

      Delete
  8. What a great list of new this week! I like the layouts and think you'll definitely find photos to fit them . .. sometimes maybe even ones you haven't thought about. Sometimes I'll put those layout out on the table, then grab a storage binder of photos & flip through to see which ones will work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. I think you are right about keeping the layout visible while I decide if I have an existing photo that works or need one to take to fill the blank. I created two Christmas layouts yesterday during the ice storm forced indoors event, which gives me 10 months to decide how to fill :)

      Delete
  9. I didn't really enjoy Suffragette TBH. The plot/characters were not contained enough for my taste, and it seemed to hang awkwardly between documentary and film. I often felt it had an agenda of ramming its message down your throat rather than just letting the facts speak for themselves. As to the dates at the end, the one that got me was Switzerland: early 1970s? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think that Suffragette was award winning, but I liked that it is a current film that reminds us that rights & liberties are not just given & still need to be won for many. I especially did not like that Meryl is promoted falsely as a lead in the movie.

      Delete
  10. I have been hearing a lot about Vikings of late perhaps I should give it a go. I am still mourning the finish of Downton Abbey ... polar opposite to Vikings..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mardi. I would say when you start with Vikings the first season is especially bloodly & if like me you fast forward through those, season one can be seen in a few hours. I am glad I stuck to it because I think there are some good (not great) story lines developing. Oh I too mourn the end of Downton - already I have started back to Season 1.

      Delete