Monday, March 21, 2016

Memorandum Monday - March 21st

Linking in with Sian & the other memo writers at: From High In The Sky

What's new with you this fair but chilly Monday morning?  

A quiet week except for the nasty storm that blew through the area bringing in hail, damaging winds, thunder & lightening.  North of us there was a recorded tornado touch down.  At 5:05pm the lightening struck a hydro pole down the street from us, knocking out power for over 10 hours. Out come all the flash lights & battery powered candles.  Thankfully we have a gas fireplace that does not require hydro to turn on/run.  Once the power was back on at 3:15am - we needed to reset all clocks & electronics which was quite a task.  We do have a lot of clocks in the house.  Thankfully the food in the freezer & refrigerator was fine.
 

Hail On The Patio - Blown Away Light Lid


So to the new.  A new season started on Sunday; Welcome Spring 2016,  although you arrived with a frost & a nippy wind, I am glad to call you home.  Everything is still quite dull & not a single sign of my snow drops.   The male cardinals are singing to welcome a new mate.  The first day of spring does not mean the first spring like dayIf you are in the southern hemisphere, Welcome Autumn.
 

New season means an end of the Winter Photo Scavenger Hunt, organized by Eileen & Joy - thank you ladies. Link Here: WPSH  Because we have had a mild winter & a promise of an early spring, the Robins are back early, so just in time I was able to get a photo of Item #1 - Robin Red Breast. 
  
I showed my friend a method of using the chopping board, which was new to her, but I have always done. The opening at the end of the chopping board I use to push off all my chopped veggies into the pan/pot, it keeps things from going all over - my friend thought the opening was just for holding or hanging the board.  She learnt something new from me!  That's carrots, celery & onion, the holy trinity of cooking,  sliding into a pot.



A new season of Formula One racing began in Melbourne Australia; it was an exciting start to a long race season with lots of passing, a rather horrendous crash, thankfully no one hurt.  Well done Nico.

Sending all of you some wonderful thoughts as we slide into the renewal festivities of spring. 

 

20 comments:

  1. Well I never thought of the chopping board idea either! How clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Finally I get to show someone something useful :) Hope you have a delightful week.

      Delete
  2. I'll have to try your shopping board trick. I'm so clumsy I'll probably have board, veg and pan over my feet in no time ... Do you want to add a disclaimer?
    Looking forward to seeing your scavenger hunt round-up and robin in the snow. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My disclaimer would be try at your own risk. You will do fine :) I really thought that was what the hole was for. My Robin photo is a little brownish bird in the middle of a brownish lawn, our Robins seem to be of the nervous variety :)

      Delete
    2. On inspection my board has a fancy ridge round the handle so I don't think I can play after all!

      Delete
    3. I will image that if you ever receive such a board you will give it a go. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I didn't know that about the chopping board! Trying that tomorrow evening when I prepare dinner. Hope you have a wonderful week and that the weather warms up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to have shared some useful info. It will be a few weeks yet before the nicer spring weather settles in.

      Delete
  4. I'm another who didn't know about the cutting board trick. Yay! I learned something new today! :) Oh my goodness it looks c-c-c-c-cold where you live!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb it has turned really cold again (boo) & there is one final snow storm brewing for later in the week, but trust me we do get really hot humid weather in the summer - a region of extremes in temperatures - would not want to live anywhere else :)

      Delete
  5. No cut-out on my cutting board, but it's a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. None of my wooden boards have holes, just long handles.

      Delete
  6. What I learned recently, your post has reminded me, is that what we call a robin and what other parts of the world call a robin look like two quite different birds. I hadn't realised that.

    Hope the Spring really gets to you soon and that the power stays on now without any more stoppages!

    Sorry, I seem a little late to the party here..this post has only just just shown up in my Reader. I've been told the same thing is happening to my posts too. Who knows what goes on in Blogger's mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad to have you popping by! We are currently under another ice storm warning, so lots of prep work in case we lose power.

      Delete
  7. Our version of robins come around in January, even when it is still freezing and quite a lot of snow left. They are hardy birds! That storm sounds scary - lucky you had plenty of flashlights available. And like you, I'm happy to welcome Spring - however it chooses to present itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheri for dropping by. We are currently covered in ice - a wicked wicked ice storm & we are praying that the wind does not pick up - memories of the ice storm December 2014.

      Delete
  8. Well now I've learned about the chopping board too. I always thought it was just to hold it by. Thank you xxx

    Happy thoughts that Spring is just around the corner, even if Mother Nature isn't quite behind it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could share some useful information. I do not think Mother Nature is being kind to us at all, an all encompassing southern Ontario ice storm, power outages everywhere, trees down, car crashes everywhere - I am not speaking to Mother Nature right now, I may say things I will regret later in July.

      Delete
  9. Late catching up with you. Well I never realized I could do that with my boards either. How neat (in more respects than one). Spring must definitely be here - I saw dandelions on Monday.

    ReplyDelete