Wednesday, March 16, 2016

SNAP - Trumpets Away

Linking in With Helena & where you can also link in with the other participants at:  Snap

This week my Snap is 4 photos of one object.  During our Adventure outing on Saturday the 11th, we came across this art installation.  It was quite large & I doubt my photos convey how large it really is.  Art amazes me, art inspires me & art also baffles me, but I think everyone can agree that this is quite a show piece. There was no explanation of why this art is on the outside of a building.

Sheba is a monument piece of work, created by Gabrielle Horvath by plaster bandage casting a live elephant, then rendering it in bronze in an abstract pattern of negative & positive space.  The lacy, almost filgree-like texture stands in stark contrast to the enormous mass it implies.  The actual elephant was not harmed in any way during the plaster bandage casting.

Sheba in Bronze








Close up of Sheba's foot - the artist has signed the piece in the toe nail


Close Up Of The Bronze Work





Elephant art pieces,  I have heard are lucky & must be turned to face the east, especially if their trunks are raised, Sheba is facing east with her trunk raised.

12 comments:

  1. a fabulous piece - I love the detail as well as the whole

    ReplyDelete
  2. My MIL collects elephants - I'm sure she'd find this piece fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool sculpture..but it must have been weird for the elephant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the details of the brass, and I certainly did not know about the installation of elephant art. My new fact of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a soft spot for elephants. What a project for the artist, and a nice piece to come across too, no doubt. I hope this stands up to the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks amazing: not sure what the elephant must have thought though..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew that about elephant art pieces ... The filigree work is fascinating. I'd have loved to see just how it was done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is quite some piece of artwork and must have been a pretty patient elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a small (ish) collection of (small!) elephants too and always make sure they face the window or door if theres no window as instructed by my Father-in-law. He had a vast collection. I really really love this piece and wonder what the elephant thought, maybe it felt like a mud bath?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, this takes the prize as the most unique post I've read in quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. snapstucco.ca

    ReplyDelete