Monday, February 27, 2017

Memo, Mail & Me: It's Monday Feb. 27th

Giving a Monday wave to all & linking in with our hostess Sian at:   From High In The Sky

Well that was a quick week & I am back to write about adventures from the patio, to write about what I received in the mail & what's news. I am adding a little something extra this Monday morning.

New from the patio, by late Friday afternoon with the very mild temperatures, all the snow was gone from front & back gardens.  On my walks I couldn't see any snow anywhere, even on the shady side of the streets.  Then Sunday morning a dusting of snow to remind us all, it is still winter.


Still on the new front; I had lunch with a friend on Friday.  She gave me my Christmas present, a lovely horse shoe tree ornament. This particular friend baffles me to no end in the gift & card department.  For my birthday this year (& most) she handed me my birthday card two months late with the exclamation that it keeps the celebrations going!  Friday she gave me my Christmas gift two months after the fact with the same justification.  My gifts & cards to her are always the day of or just before - I just don't know what to make of it.  For now, I say thank you & will enjoy seeing the ornament on the tree in 10 months. 


From the mail box, my most exciting piece of mail was the Costco Connection magazine sharing with me all the special buys & what's coming to a warehouse near me.  On the Canadian front cover is a couple who host several D.I.Y. shows.  I know one of his brothers.  Mr Man & myself, use to be regular viewers of most of his shows, but like so many reality shows, someone is made to look the fool & someone the hero & usually it's her that is made to look foolish & for us it grew boring really quickly.



My little something extra today is; What's New From The Shopping Cart!  

I have mentioned before, this July 1st, Canada celebrates 150 years of confederation; the merging & creating the formal Canada as we know it today.  150 years ago not all provinces were part of confederation but today we boast 10 provinces & 3 territories.

Anyway, back to the shopping cart  ... This weekend I found several seed packages advertising blooms in Canada's colours of red & white. These packages of seeds are all annuals.  I cannot wait to get planting, which will be indoors later this month.  Traditionally in this part of Canada (Ontario) we usually don't set out annuals until after the Victoria Day weekend (this year May 22nd).  Starting indoors gives them a head start & means blooms earlier than if set straight out in the garden.  I am very excited about all my celebration garden ideas.  Last fall, in the front gardens I planted about 50 specialty created Canada tulips, along with planting a white with a red centre, Rose of Sharon.  During the Boxing Day sales we bought several strands of red & white outdoor Christmas lights to string out for July 1st.  


There are exactly as many special occasions in life as we choose to celebrateRobert Brault






25 comments:

  1. sounds like your garden is going to be lovely, I'm busy planning mine which unfortunately involves a lot of hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the snow has melted away or the horrors of all the clean up I will have to do this spring!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great when winter starts to disappear and spring is just around the corner? Be sure to share photos of those flowers when they are in the garden later this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there will photos of flowers & lots of them - I cannot wait.

      Delete
  3. What a great quote and so very true. I am not a gardener by any means, but it sounds like yours will be wonderful. Glad to see my favourites are there. Sweet peas. Have a great week Mary-Lou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet peas are so fragrant so I will plant near a door or window so them waft in.

      Delete
  4. Yes with March around the corner and I have been thinking of seed planting too. Only thinking mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a lovely post full of promises for the future!
    thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the spring is all about renewal after a long hard winter of both weather & spirit.

      Delete
  6. What a perfect quote to add to your lovely post today. Keeping the celebration gong! I think I could get behind that...I just got a Christmas present in the post about an hour ago too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyday is a celebration of sorts. Reminds me of a animated movie the Krugs & how they cheered each morning "still alive".

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see your garden this summer! I need to start thinking about mine. We belong to Costco, but I've never seen a magazine; we do get a small book advertising specials each month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get a little coupon booklet from Costco quarterly along with the sleek & slick magazine. I wonder if this is a Canadian thing ...

      Delete
  8. Hang in there! Spring is coming! The seeds are truly something to look forward to.
    I will say nothing about habitual over-late gifting other than that I think actually it devalues the day. (IMO.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know my rant about late gifts especially since this friend & I see each other regularly & we do not live that far apart ... oh well I will just give thanks (col). While we still have a few weeks of winter left, the light is earlier & longer each day, the birds are singing louder, I can do this ...

      Delete
  9. I love hearing about the Canadian celebrations.... your Costco magazine...and your habitual late gift giver....however when I sit to my write my blog posts I often feel I have little to share... reading this morning I realised that everything in life is interesting... I need to have my eyes open more. Thanks for your kind reminder this morning on my Project Life post...I appreciated that so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is certainly a gift & I do my best to try to remember it daily although I do get caught up in the drama sometimes. After I wrote on your blog I thought I really need to hear myself & take heed. Your creativity is amazing.

      Delete
  10. Teehee, I have to say, I like your friends theory on gift giving, if nothing else it is a great excuse to be late, lol.
    I haven't watched his new show as I think it is just a way to get his whole family in on the lime light, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Tracy. But the brother I know is so different, he is very quietly going about his life. He's a very nice man. As the recipient, I do not support that late gift giving! (col).

      Delete
  11. Oh goodness, a light dusting of snow seems so unfair after it had disappeared. Looking forward to seeing your new plantings later this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but now we have had rain to wash it all way (again). But I cannot be fooled I know that there is more snow to come. We once had snow in May!!!

      Delete
  12. We're still under plenty snow here in the west! I have seen snow out here every month but July! Even my daughter in Seattle has experienced plenty of snow this season, which is practically unheard of. Look forward to seeing snaps of your patriotic plants later this summer! Canada is celebrated in this CanAm household! And my family LOV.eS getting to celebrate 2 Thanksgivings! Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have family living in Spokane Washington although what they post on F/B isn't usually about the weather (lol). Two Thanksgivings - lucky family.

      Delete
  13. A garden with a celebratory theme - color me impressed!! I hope it blooms to be everything you are dreaming of.

    ReplyDelete