Thursday, February 02, 2017

Shadows

Today is Groundhog Day.  Not a national or provincial holiday but still a day to celebrate, especially if the forecast is one you hope for. 


Reports are that in this part of the world, Ontario's Wiarton Willy did NOT see his shadow, which means an early spring.  In eastern Canada, Nova Scotia's Shubenacadie Sam also did NOT see his shadow, but in western Canada, Alberta's Balzac Bill did see his shadow which means for them, 6 more weeks of winter.
 
Source

I did not see my shadow this morning while refilling the bird feeders.  But with the biting cold wind & snow on the ground it is hard for me to believe anything other than winter is still around & for sometime yet.  All hail groundhogs but I do not think their forecasting abilities are anything to count on.


 
But to encourage me, I found this circulating on F/B this morning & I like it for various reasons.

Source

The local theatre is screening the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray.  Mr Man suggested we have a dinner of greens to celebrate - oh a big tossed fresh salad sounds good ...& something a groundhog might feast upon after an early morning of forecasting.

"If Candlemas Day be fair and bright,
Winter will have another flight.
But if Candlemas Day be clouds and rain
Winter is gone and will not come again."

8 comments:

  1. I'd never heard about groundhogs' forecasting abilities but they wouldn't be my instant go-to experts, I have to say. Here's to early Springs even if all the signs are against them. And what a great cartoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do hope your Spring is not far away for you. As you may have seen there are snowdrops out here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll keep my fingers crossed for signs of an early spring for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you---not much confidence in the ground hog! But, nonetheless, I'm hopeful that spring will show up in 6-8 weeks. Sometimes (as you know) it's April before you really see any significant signs of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had completely forgotten about GD!
    It falls on the same day as the "Chandeleur" or Crepe Day in France ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'd never heard of GroundHog Day here until the movie came out. I'll keep my fingers crossed for an early spring for you too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I do hope y'all have an early spring. I think we're supposed to have 6 more weeks of winter, such as it is!!

    ReplyDelete