Friday, May 05, 2017

Five in Five On The 5th - May 2017

Linking in with Sandie & the other Fivers at : Itchifingers  The idea is to take five photos in five minutes on the 5th of the month. 

Spring's April Showers have moved in with May; 55mm of rain this week so far  & it's still raining with a forecast of more rain into Saturday with rain & snow on Sunday.  I am making friends with a man named Noah.

Signs of Spring in my garden is my theme for this month's Five in Five on the 5th:

Photo 1 = the frost burn on the early bloomers (these are allium). This plant is always the first to sprout but always suffers with frost burn on the leaves because we always get a late April/May frost. But no matter the flowers are unaffected & are a gorgeous purple.

Photo 2 = the curls on the ferns, which we call fiddleheads.  Fiddleheads are a delicious spring treat.  I don't have enough ferns growing in my garden to cut the tight curls to eat so I buy our fiddleheads at the local farm shop.  Yummy with a little butter.


Photo 3 = one of the maple trees flowers.  We hope for few of these because the more flowers, the more seed pods which are SO difficult to get rid of & they clog the eaves-trough on the house.




Photo 4 = the hosta soldiers.  At least that's what the beginnings of the hosta look like to me.  Spikey little warriors all standing individually at attention & ready to take on all comers.  Ok Mrs Bunny try & nibble me ...


Photo 5 =  mud splatters on my nearly white daffodil.  It seems this lovely flower can't go a few hours without a mess on her Sunday best ... but still beautiful & of course she can't help all the mud surrounding her - so much rain!

 

17 comments:

  1. Lovely pics and commentary. See - you've had to wait a little longer for spring but now you get to enjoy it while for us it is simply a memory (for this year).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a chilly spring so far & I think that's why the daffs & tulips are lasting so long, so there's the cheerful side of this weather :) I found a summer flowering daffodil in a plant catalogue - umm I am saying.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha, what a cheerful post, despite all the rain and threat of snow. We've had a couple of frosty mornings here too, and a fluttering of hailstones in parts of the country. Really, the weather is getting her knickers in a twist!
    I've never heard fern being called fiddleheads before, but what a delightful name! I too love their dainty fronds as they uncurl, and I never knew you could eat them! That is something I learnt today.
    Your hosta looks very healthy, Mary Lou. I like your dare to the rabbits and hope they don't take you up on it! And as for your daffodil, so pretty. She doesn't look too shabby with her mud spots ;)
    Thank you for taking part this month, I really enjoyed your post and seeing your garden plants. I hope the rain holds off soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating fern fiddleheads has to be carefully watched, the fronds have to be tight tight tight so as not to be toxic. Mrs Bunny has been rather a pest this spring, I'll say no more about her.

      Delete
  3. I just posted my Five in Five: same theme, same weather! Great minds think alike. LOL! Love the idea of the hosta soldiers; never thought of that but it's a great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen your garden looks so lovely & I guess you being south of the lake it's just a tad warmer.

      Delete
  4. My allium leaves are burnt like that and I had thought it was beacause it is so dry here. No 55mm of rain for us! we have however had some frosts so I guess that may be the cause.
    Eating ferns is a new one on me. Are they a particular type?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie the local ferns used are Ostrich Ferns. There are others but not grown locally. The largest North American commercial fiddlehead producer is in Ontario. I know there are some ferns that you cannot eat at all(toxic) & some have to be cooked really well to be edible. Management of commercial fern growing has to be well supervised so as not over pick the fern which will eventually kill the whole plant. The fern has to picked at just the right time, the curl has to be tight so that's why I like to buy mine. You can buy frozen but fresh is better. Local univ doing research as to know more about this food as good or not good for you.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of fiddleheads. I do love it when I learn something new here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ughhhh, please make it stop raining! I sure could use some sunshine. I know what fiddleheads are, but I've never tried them. I do see them in the grocery store sometimes. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jenn, enough with the rain, I need some outside time. Fiddleheads are, in my opinion, only tasty when fresh & steamed, then a little stir fry with butter. I think the ones in the chain grocery stores are a little sad wilted.

      Delete
  7. Looks like your yard is coming to life. I love noticing these early signs of growth! Hope you don't get snow. It is finally warm here. We are off to the LSS to avoid yard work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn I hope you had a good NSD & thankfully we didn't get the snow, heavy frost overnight. :)

      Delete
  8. Ha the promises of Spring!
    It's a long wait tough isn't it?!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look through my garden albums, I can see that we are a little late this spring, but no matter it will come, what's the saying, no spring skips its turn ...

      Delete
  9. What lovely photos! Lovely signs of Spring in your garden. I didn't know you could eat fiddleheads! I have loads of ferns on the shady side of my garden and I love the sight of the fiddleheads uncurling each Spring. BTW I have joined in with your Take Three Thursday this week. XXX

    ReplyDelete